• Be social

Safer, Cleaner, Greener: Falmouth Town Council speaks out about anti-social parking

As car owners, we can generally park anywhere as long as we do not break the law by contravening restrictions that are in place. However, with an increasing number of households being shared and families owning multiple vehicles, car parking has become a major issue in towns and cities across the country, and Falmouth is no exception with its diverse population and narrow streets. Whilst the majority of car owners do park safely, responsibly and legally, this latest instalment of Falmouth Town Council’s year-long Safer, Cleaner, Greener public information campaign explains the various routes to take if you find yourself the victim of inconsiderate parking in and around the Falmouth area. Who is responsible for enforcing car parking restrictions in Cornwall? Cornwall Council is responsible for managing road safety, traffic flow and how car parks are used. Where legal parking or waiting restrictions are in place on public roads – such as single or double yellow lines, limited waiting bays or resident parking zones – or in the car parks they operate, and drivers fail to adhere to these regulations, Cornwall Council enforces them by issuing penalty charge notices. What can you do if you think a vehicle is parked illegally or dangerously? If you think a vehicle is parked illegally where there is a parking restriction in place, you can report it by: • telephoning 0300 1234 222 • emailing parkingenforcement@cornwall.gov • typing ‘illegally parked’ in the search box of cornwall.gov.uk. If you think a car may be parked dangerously or is causing an obstruction where there is no parking restriction in place, the Police have the power to issue penalty notices or even have the vehicle removed, and you can report it by: • telephoning 101 • emailing 101@devonandcornwall.pnn.police.uk • completing the online form at https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/contact/. To find out about improving traffic management in your area, type ‘traffic consultations’ in the search box of cornwall.gov.uk or talk to your local councillor whose details can be found at cornwall.gov.uk/my-area