• Be social

Falmouth & Penryn Household Waste Recycling Centre Opens

Residents living in the Falmouth & Penryn area can now take advantage of a new Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) which opened on Valentine’s Day.

Julian German, Cabinet Member for Waste Management, Climate Change and Historic Environment said: “This is a fantastic new facility which many people in the area have been looking forward to using. With thirteen HWRC’s across Cornwall we are making it easier and easier for residents to recycle as much as possible.”

Phil Rudin, SITA UKs Regional Manager for Cornwall and Devon said: “We look forward to welcoming local residents to the new Household Waste Recycling Centre where our staff will be pleased to help customers recycle as much as they can. The contractors doing the construction faced some treacherous weather and ground conditions in recent months but have pressed on to complete the job.

“Perhaps opening the gates for the first time on Valentine’s Day will encourage more people to fall in love with recycling, whether it is glass, cans, batteries or one of the many other products that we can accommodate at Falmouth & Penryn HWRC”, added Phil.

The new site has clear signage and a layout that is designed to make it easy for residents to find what they are looking for and to conduct their visit safely. A site cabin that provides welfare facilities for recycling operatives has also been constructed.

The new site is now open 7 days a week and currently operating on a winter timetable – from 9.00am until at 4pm each day. From the 1st April the site will operate on summer opening hours of 9.00am until 6.00pm. It is located at Carveth Farm - off the A394 between Treliever and Longdowns, near Mabe Burnthouse.

The site accepts: asbestos; cans; cardboard; car and household batteries; chemicals (household); clothes and textiles; energy saving light bulbs; electrical items (WEEE); fridges and freezers; fluorescent tubes; gas bottles, general waste, glass, green/garden waste, household waste; metal; newspapers/magazines; oil; plasterboard; plastic bottles; rubble; televisions/monitors; tyres and wood. This site does not accept trade waste.

Residents who own commercial type vehicles or large trailers and want to use them to visit HWRC’s with their household waste must apply for a permit through Cornwall Council. More information is available about the permit scheme at www.cornwall.gov.uk/wastepermit or by calling the council on 0300 1234 141.

February 2011